PDA

View Full Version : Ew China

momoyome
25 Sep 2008, 1:14 pm
My mom forwards me stuff all the time....mostly lolcats and "health warnings" but this one really took the cake for funny.

Just when I thought I had heard it all!!

Snopes link:
snopes.com: Condom Hair Bands (http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/hairband.asp)

Hair Bands Alert!!!! (ponytail holders) Apparently true!! Reported in USA Today and other newspapers!!

Be cautious of hair bands at open markets around the city too, they are probably from China since they are purchased in bulk very very cheap !!!! Take a good look before buying hair bands in future, specially like the following kind..

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/8653/image001zw7.jpg

These Hair bands were made from used condoms and threads. That was so disgusting, I would not want to use them!!

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/807/image002sm5.jpg

http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/8159/image003un5.jpg

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5961/image004ei8.jpg

BEIJING (AFP) - Used condoms are being recycled into hair bands in southern China thr eatening to spread sexually-transmittable diseases they were originally meant to prevent, state media reported Tuesday

In the latest example of potentially harmful Chinese-made products, rubber hair bands have been found in local markets and beauty salons in Dongguan and Guangzhou cities in southern Guangdong province, China Daily newspaper said.

'These cheap and colorful rubber bands and hair ties sell well ..... threatening the health of local people,' it said.
Despite being recycled, the hair bands could still contain bacteria and viruses, it said.

'People could be infected with AIDS, (genital) warts or other diseases if they hold the rubber bands or strings in their mouths while waving their hair into plaits or buns,' the paper quoted a local dermatologist who gave only his surname, Dong, as saying. A bag of ten of the recycled bands sells for just 25 sen (three cents), much cheaper than others on the market, accounting for their popularity, the paper said.

A government official was quoted as saying recycling condoms was illegal. China' s manufacturing industry has been repeatedly tarnished this year by a string of scandals involving shoddy or dangerous goods made for both domestic and foreign markets.

In response, it launched a public relations blitz this summer aimed at playing up efforts to strengthen monitoring systems.
_.___
Check your kids hair bands and make sure they do not put them in their mouth while trying to plait or tie their hair.

icky!!

Z
25 Sep 2008, 1:23 pm
O_O

Ryo Misaki
25 Sep 2008, 1:27 pm
HOLY CRAP! That's AMAZING~!
Who knew... Sometimes the Chinese can be even more practical than the Japanese! xD

Imma go buy stock in these... I think we has a new trend on our hands!
Hairbands for EVERYONE! =P

Yay Recycling. ^_^

momoyome
25 Sep 2008, 1:28 pm
I thought the same thing. I was like "Damn, who would have thought about that??!?!?!"

Ryo Misaki
25 Sep 2008, 1:55 pm
Seriously... Who wakes up one morning, after a hot and steamy night, looks at their trash can and thinks...

"Damn... these old condoms are really piling up... I've gotta do something. OH! HAIRTIES!"

WTF?

Grey Fox
25 Sep 2008, 2:30 pm
Recycling of the unexpected items is... surprising, but not entirely condemnable.

MetalLark
25 Sep 2008, 4:56 pm
Seriously... Who wakes up one morning, after a hot and steamy night, looks at their trash can and thinks...

"Damn... these old condoms are really piling up... I've gotta do something. OH! HAIRTIES!"

WTF?
O_O Haha. That would probably be a lil' comforting knowing the Condoms are your own... BUT SOMEONE ELSES!!! :laugh: Just hope you don't get AIDS and if you do... :getwell:

Your God
25 Sep 2008, 5:18 pm
That is so very disgusting.

But as long as they stay in China and NEVER make their way here...I'm okay with it.

Z
25 Sep 2008, 6:32 pm
Good luck recovering from THAT. =P

Seriously, if it were fresh condoms, it'd be okay.... but used?!

momoyome
25 Sep 2008, 6:37 pm
I read the snoopes article and it seemed like not all of them were used, but rather there is a possibility that they were rejected condoms from a factory that didn't meet quality standards. The only real danger through used condoms is the threat of AIDS.....since it's a virus and viruses don't die. The bacteria that causes STI's have probably been irradicated from the material by the time it reaches the wearer.

MetalLark
25 Sep 2008, 7:24 pm
oh, well that makes everything better for a persons Psych! lol. I' not say that it isn't apt, cuz it is very resourceful, it just SCARY!! O_O everyones afraid of STD's. hehe

hinarei
26 Sep 2008, 3:12 am
this is hilarious, and surprisingly resourceful :D

I tie my hair back, and have never once thought about what it is I could possibly be handling (yes they're in China, but you never know).

Interesting article, if somewhat stomach-churning :su:

Mr.Anderson
26 Sep 2008, 5:51 am
since it's a virus and viruses don't die.

What happens then when you kill them? They fearfully watch how their tickets decrease from spectator mode? xD

Anyway, rejected condoms, good idea, used.. not so much *shivers*

momoyome
26 Sep 2008, 11:23 am
viruses break down eventually. but it's very difficult because they're never actually alive.

Ryo Misaki
26 Sep 2008, 12:18 pm
I should import some... Just for kicks...

I've got friends who would FLIP if I showed them one of those... xD

Or, even better... We should make some ourselves!

I've got several old ones that I never use... O_o

momoyome
26 Sep 2008, 12:31 pm
did someone say....condom?

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5934/0917081337zl3.jpg

Ryo Misaki
26 Sep 2008, 1:44 pm
HAHAH! Stop fooling around!
Yer wasting what could be a damned good hair tie! >.<

momoyome
26 Sep 2008, 2:06 pm
but condoms are so much fun to make water balloons with!!!!!

Ryo Misaki
26 Sep 2008, 5:39 pm
But you cant SELL water baloons! How un economical! What are you thinking? xD

tainted violets
26 Sep 2008, 9:35 pm
Well, that's just gross...those things better stay in China.

Ryo, all your posts on this thread made me laugh :). And nice picture, Momo.

Your God
26 Sep 2008, 11:07 pm
A condom water balloon?

Would you throw it or smack someone with it?

Shinno
27 Sep 2008, 7:07 am
what the?! :jawdrops
< gonna cut her ponies later

☼Pepe☼
27 Sep 2008, 12:57 pm
That is a pretty stupid news article :P

It's impossible to spread STDs with those kind of hairbands! Unless a kid swallows it or something... But swallowing any kind of headband is dangerous in itself :lol:

But yeah, kudos to the chinese! :D

Your God
27 Sep 2008, 2:32 pm
It's still possible without having to swallow them I think.

If you have one in your hair and some bug bites you that could do the trick. And if that doesn't work, it'll probably start to itch and without thinking there is something wrong with your hair band you'll start to scratch it until you've scratched a nice big hole (Big for the virus, small from you're perspective).

Or when you touch it, I imagine the virus could get on your hands and when you pick something up to eat...you said it yourself - if you eat it, you could contract it. Thought I'm not too sure how well a virus could last when introduced to the all-mighty stomach acids. Seriously you shouldn't underestimate the power of the acid your body can produce. If it wasn't for the fact that your stomach is coated in a thick layer of mucus, then the acids would have eaten right through you.

So I guess eating one of those things would probably be safer then introducing it to an open wound, no matter how insignificant.

And just so I'm clear with everyone that reads this...I am NOT suggesting that you should go out in ingest used condoms! xD

You'd think that was unnecessary, but with the people you meet on the net...it's really not not unnecessary I mean.

momoyome
27 Sep 2008, 6:10 pm
That is a pretty stupid news article :P

It's impossible to spread STDs with those kind of hairbands! Unless a kid swallows it or something... But swallowing any kind of headband is dangerous in itself :lol:

But yeah, kudos to the chinese! :D

Girls put them in their mouths when tying a pony since they require two hands. So it's slim, but it's not 100% safe.

And yeah, Shinno report back. Maybe you landed yourself with some recycled products!

☼Pepe☼
27 Sep 2008, 10:52 pm
Sheesh, what's life without a little risk? xD xD

I kid, I kid :P

Seriously though, wouldn't it have been cheaper if they just recycled old plastic instead of condoms? :o

Ryo Misaki
28 Sep 2008, 4:52 am
It's impossible to spread STDs with those kind of hairbands! Unless a kid swallows it or something... But swallowing any kind of headband is dangerous in itself

>>
Girls put them in their mouths when tying a pony since they require two hands. So it's slim, but it's not 100% safe.

True, true... But not only that... Don't you realize how often some people get bored and chew on things, for no real reason? O_o
...well, mostly stupid blondes...
But I work with one, true story. She's gnawed up her work card to the point that it needs replacing. (OFTEN.)
She ALWAYS bites on pens and they'll bust in her mouth. xD
And I've SEEN her biting on her hairband while it's on her pony tail before...

Sad... But true.

...that could have been Aids there! :o

Shinno
28 Sep 2008, 5:00 am

And yeah, Shinno report back. Maybe you landed yourself with some recycled products!

got none made in condom ponies so far. Thank God :)

☼Pepe☼
28 Sep 2008, 7:03 am
Well, what is they sterilize them before putting them in hairbands? :o

MoonRomance
30 Sep 2008, 8:59 am
I thought the same thing. I was like "Damn, who would have thought about that??!?!?!"

Agreed

@Pepe: did they even sterilize it o.o, you just might find a "wet" hair band

☼Pepe☼
30 Sep 2008, 11:53 am
That... would be uncomfortable :lol:

Grey Fox
30 Sep 2008, 12:56 pm
Nobody cuts that many corners, and aids hair bands don't exactly have the USP they need.

Josun
29 Nov 2008, 1:36 am
Techincally, on at least something in this article, you dont need two hands to put your hair into a tail. While this may seem strange for a guy, I have a tail thats alomost reached the middle of my back (been growing it for six years X_X) and i just put the hair ties onto my wrist. Then, when i got the hair setup, i just pull the tie of the wrist and triple it *hairties have a habit of loosening up on me T_T).

As for the main ideal of this article, it wouldnt surprise me if they make something out of used cigarette buts.

Aoshi Shinomori
29 Nov 2008, 2:17 am
Wow...
Used Condom hairbands, Thats.... Resourceful to say the least.
Nasty as hell though.... *shivers*

Miroku
29 Nov 2008, 7:33 am
did someone say....condom?

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/5934/0917081337zl3.jpg

Ah yes! :D Fun times in college.

Leave it to the Chinese to try catching up to the Japanese in creating more of the World's Strangest Shit :|.

shudders